Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Overpacking: Dorm rooms are typically small, so it’s important to be mindful of how much stuff you bring. Avoid bringing unnecessary items and instead focus on the essentials.
- Not measuring your furniture: Before you move in, measure your furniture and make sure it will fit in your dorm room. This will prevent any issues with oversized furniture not fitting through doorways or taking up too much space.
- Skipping out on bed risers: Bed risers are a dorm room essential as they allow you to create additional storage space underneath your bed.
- Not bringing a power strip: Dorm rooms often have limited outlets, so bringing a power strip can help you avoid running out of outlets.
- Not decorating your dorm room: A plain, unadorned dorm room can feel drab and uninviting. By decorating your dorm room with a few personal items and accessories, you can make it feel more like home.
- Neglecting to organize: Dorm rooms can quickly become cluttered and disorganized. To avoid this, invest in some storage solutions such as plastic bins and organizers to keep your things in order.
- Not bringing a fan: Dorm rooms can get stuffy, so it’s a good idea to bring a fan to help circulate the air.
- Not communicating with your roommate: Not communicating with your roommate can lead to issues with noise, visitors, and shared space. Make sure to establish boundaries and open communication from the start.
- Not preparing for unexpected expenses: Dorm life can come with unexpected expenses such as broken furniture or lost keys. It’s a good idea to set aside some extra money to cover these unexpected expenses.
- Not taking advantage of campus resources: Many colleges and universities offer a variety of resources such as career centers, tutoring, and counseling services. Make sure to take advantage of these resources to make the most of your college experience.
By avoiding these common dorm room mistakes, you can ensure that your dorm room is a comfortable, functional and enjoyable place to live.