Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Decorating an apartment can be a fun, if sometimes frustrating process. If you’re just starting out, there are some great ways to get started on your decorating journey. Here are some helpful tips and tricks that will help you decorate your apartment like a designer!
DECORATE LIKE A PRO
To decorate like a pro, start with the right colors. Color is one of the most important elements in any space, so you need to get it right. Think about what colors you’re drawn to and what they say about your personality. The next step is to find furniture that will complement your color scheme and create a cohesive look throughout the room.
After selecting furniture, consider choosing lighting that complements those pieces of furniture as well as the rest of your home’s design elements such as rugs, art and accessories. A room can be completely transformed by simply changing out floor lamps or table lamps for ones with more modern designs or more ornate details like crystal accents on baseboards or light fixtures above beds/cabinets/desks/dressers etcetera (or vice versa).
Next comes all those smaller items—rugs, pillows (for both chairs & beds), curtains if applicable; plants or vases filled with fresh flowers etcetera!
Make your home a safe haven
It is important to do everything you can to make your home a safe haven. This means creating a place that you want to be and return to after a long day at work, as well as a space that you want others to visit. The most effective ways of doing this are by incorporating soft furnishings into the space and not leaving things too bare. It’s also important for your apartment or house to be well lit, which can be achieved through lighting the ceiling with pendants or using floor lamps with attractive shades. Here are some other tips on how you can decorate your apartment like an interior designer:
Making the walls work for you
The most important thing to do when decorating your apartment is to make sure that the walls make a statement. You can do this by using color, art, wallpaper or mirrors.
If you want your walls to be neutral, then the best thing to do is use artwork and accessories that are bold in color and pattern. This will help make up for the lack of variety in your paint shade. For example, if you have yellow walls throughout your apartment (like I did), then instead of hanging up framed photos of family members on each wall like I did (because they were all black-and-white), try adding bold colored frames around some beautiful artwork or a colorful poster instead!
Make room for art
- Use art to express your style.
- Personalize the space with meaningful art, not just pretty prints.
- Bring a room together by using art that has a similar color palette or theme.
- Make a room feel bigger with artwork hung on all four walls instead of just two.
- Make your home more inviting by incorporating lots of different styles into one room—and don’t worry about clashing colors, patterns and textures!
Build the perfect bed
Now that you’ve chosen the piece for the bedroom, it’s time to think about some specifics. First, it’s important to choose a mattress that is comfortable for you. There are many different types of mattresses available on the market today—some are firmer than others and some come with special features like cooling gel or built-in back support.
- When choosing your bed frame, keep in mind that most people prefer wood frames because they have a classic look and feel more sturdy than metal frames. If you have a large room but want an overall minimalist aesthetic, consider using floating bed frames so there will not be any visual clutter around the area where you spend most of your time sleeping at night.*
- Next if you’re looking for something durable but also easy to clean (like I am), try getting an organic cotton duvet cover instead of silk sheets because these materials tend not only last longer but don’t require much maintenance either!
Get comfortable with color
When it comes to decorating, it’s important to get comfortable with color. Colors can be used in many ways—to make a room feel more spacious, cozy, modern or traditional. But first things first: how do you even choose the right color for your space?
One way is to think about what kind of mood you want your room to have. For example, if you’re looking for something warm and inviting then red might be just what the doctor ordered (however if this is not your cup of tea try blue instead). If on the other hand you would like something brighter than white but still neutral then turquoise may be even better suited for your needs!
Decorate with intention and make your living space feel like home.
- Decorate with intention.
- Make your living space feel like home.
- Create a space that feels cozy, inviting, comfortable and stylish.
- Design a space that is functional and beautiful.
As always, the key to any decorating is to start with what you love. Don’t buy things just because they’re on trend—pick pieces that speak to your heart and reflect who you are. Now get out there and make your home beautiful!