Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Starting college is an exciting time, but it can also be overwhelming, especially when it comes to packing for your dorm room. To help you out, here is a list of 20 college dorm room essentials for freshman year in 2023:
- Bedding: Make sure to bring sheets, a comforter or duvet, and pillows. You’ll want comfortable bedding to help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Towels: You’ll need towels for showering and drying off. Bring a few bath towels, hand towels, and washcloths.
- Toiletries: Don’t forget to pack all the personal care items you’ll need, such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toothpaste, and a toothbrush.
- Laundry basket: A laundry basket or hamper will come in handy for keeping your dirty clothes organized.
- Hangers: Bring a few hangers for hanging up clothes and towels.
- Desk lamp: A desk lamp is essential for studying and working at your desk.
- Trash can: Keep your dorm room clean and organized with a small trash can.
- Surge protector: Most dorm rooms have limited outlets, so a surge protector with multiple outlets will be helpful for charging your phone, laptop, and other devices.
- Water bottle: Stay hydrated by bringing a reusable water bottle.
- Headphones: Headphones will come in handy for studying or listening to music without disturbing your roommate.
- Alarm clock: A reliable alarm clock is essential for waking up on time for class.
- Backpack: You’ll need a backpack for carrying your books and supplies to and from class.
- Umbrella: Bring an umbrella in case of rain.
- Sneakers: Comfortable sneakers are a must for walking to class and around campus.
- School supplies: Don’t forget to bring pens, pencils, paper, and other school supplies you’ll need for class.
- First aid kit: A small first aid kit with band-aids, pain relievers, and other essential items is always a good idea to have on hand.
- Snacks: Stock your dorm room with healthy snacks to keep you fueled during those long study sessions.
- Fans: A fan can be helpful for keeping your dorm room cool during the hot summer months.
- Shower caddy: A shower caddy will help you keep your toiletries organized and easily accessible when you’re showering.
- Room decorations: Personalize your dorm room with decorations that reflect your style and make it feel like home.
With these essential items, you’ll be well-equipped for your freshman year in college. Don’t forget to also check with your dorm or campus housing for any specific rules or restrictions on what you can bring.