Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
As a college student living in an apartment, you may be dealing with limited space in your living room. But don’t let a small living room dampen your holiday cheer! With a little creativity and some smart decorating techniques, you can transform your apartment into a festive and cozy holiday retreat. Here are 18 small living room decorating ideas for apartments:
- Go vertical: If you’re short on floor space, consider using the walls and ceilings to display holiday decorations. Hang garlands, wreaths, and lights from the ceiling or along the walls to create a festive atmosphere.
- Use mirrors and reflective surfaces: Mirrors and other reflective surfaces can help make a small living room feel larger by reflecting light and creating the illusion of more space. Hang a few holiday-themed mirrors or place some shiny ornaments on reflective surfaces to add some festive sparkle to your space.
- Choose small, space-saving decorations: Look for decorations that are compact and don’t take up too much space, such as small tabletop trees, miniature wreaths, and garlands that can be draped over furniture or hung on the walls.
- Utilize multipurpose decorations: Look for decorations that serve multiple purposes, such as a coffee table book that doubles as a holiday display or a throw pillow with a holiday-themed design.
- Opt for multi-functional furniture: Furniture that serves multiple purposes, such as ottomans with storage or coffee tables with built-in drawers, can help you maximize your small living room during the holidays.
- Get creative with lighting: Use string lights, candlelight, and other types of ambient lighting to create a cozy and festive atmosphere in your small living room.
- Incorporate natural elements: Bring the outdoors inside by incorporating natural elements into your holiday decor. Pinecones, branches, and berries can add a festive touch to your space while also bringing a bit of nature into your home.
- Use your shelves and mantels: If you have shelves or a mantel, consider using these areas to display holiday decorations. This will help to free up floor space and create a cohesive look throughout your apartment.
- Consider a holiday-themed rug: A small rug with a holiday-themed design can add a pop of color and a festive touch to your space without taking up too much room.
- Use baskets and bins for storage: Baskets and bins can help you keep your small living room organized and clutter-free during the holiday season. Use them to store holiday decorations when not in use, or use them as decorative pieces in their own right.
- Hang stockings from the wall or mantel: If you don’t have a fireplace or mantle, consider hanging your stockings from the wall or from a shelf. This will help to save space and still allow you to enjoy this holiday tradition.
- Use your windows to your advantage: Hang holiday-themed window treatments or add some festive window clings to bring some holiday cheer to your space.
- Consider a small, live tree: If you have the space, consider a small, live tree that you can plant in your yard after the holiday season is over. This will add a festive touch to your space while also being environmentally friendly.
- Use fabric to add holiday cheer: Hang holiday-themed fabric or use fabric as a backdrop for your holiday decorations to add a festive touch to your space without taking up too much room.
- Add some holiday-themed pillows and throws: Add some festive flair to your space with holiday-themed pillows and throws. These can be placed