Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
As a college sophomore, I have learned a lot about navigating the challenges and opportunities of college life. Here are 22 pieces of advice I would offer to incoming college students:
- Get involved: Participate in clubs, organizations, and activities on campus to make new friends and explore your interests.
- Find a study group: Joining a study group can help you stay on track and get support from your peers.
- Attend office hours: Don’t be afraid to visit your professors during office hours for extra help or clarification on course material.
- Manage your time wisely: Create a schedule and stick to it to stay organized and avoid feeling overwhelmed.
- Take breaks: Make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.
- Join a fitness class or club: Staying active can help you reduce stress and improve your overall well-being.
- Explore your options: Don’t be afraid to try new things and explore different majors or career paths.
- Find a balance: While academics are important, don’t neglect your social life or personal interests.
- Connect with your professors: Building relationships with your professors can open up opportunities for research, internships, and recommendations.
- Stay organized: Use a planner or calendar to keep track of assignments, exams, and deadlines.
- Take advantage of resources: Utilize the resources available on campus, such as the library, tutoring services, and career centers.
- Budget your money: Create a budget and stick to it to avoid financial stress.
- Learn to cook: Knowing how to cook can save you money and help you eat healthier.
- Stay in touch with friends and family: Make sure to keep in touch with your loved ones and stay connected to your support system.
- Take care of your mental health: Seek support from a mental health professional if you’re struggling with anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues.
- Find a mentor: Connect with a mentor or role model who can provide guidance and support.
- Get involved in research: Participating in research projects can help you gain valuable experience and