Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Like seriously where do people shop all the insanely cute stuff for their first apartment, I know I’m not the only one that asks this question. Well luckily for all of us, I’ve spent a few days now and here are the top furniture shops for all apartment needs.
- West Elm
While West Elm is pricier than most of the stores on this list, it is a great place to shop for higher-end pieces that will instantly make your home look more sophisticated. We recommend checking out their “sale” section because there are typically some great deals to be found. And many times, these items are also eligible for further discounts (sometimes as much as 75% off!). [It’s worth noting that when shopping online, West Elm’s website doesn’t reflect the actual sale prices of their furniture](https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-save-money-at-west-elm-250117); you’ll have to check in store or call the store directly to find out what other sales they’re running on specific items.*
World Market is a great place to start your apartment hunt. They have a wide variety, with everything from stylish decor accents to high-quality furniture, and their prices are quite reasonable, whether you’re looking for a few small items or want to completely furnish your home. While they aren’t the best option if you need basic everyday pieces like pots and pans or an essential office chair, they shine when it comes to decorative accents. They also have a fantastic selection of rugs in every size, shape and color imaginable.
Target: IKEA is great and all, but what if you don’t have a car and can’t figure out how to get the furniture in your tiny apartment? Or what if you just want to shop without having to take a bus, train, or cab? Target has everything from basic household items like bedsheets and kitchen utensils to full living room sets. They also have tons of home accessories like picture frames and candles. The best part about Target is that it’s cheap, so if you need something for your apartment but don’t want to pay an arm and a leg for it, this is the place for you.
Pier 1 Imports
Pier 1 Imports, with its vast selection of unique home items, is a great place to start your apartment hunt. They sell a wide range of furniture, decor, bedding and bath items at reasonable prices. You can find anything from simple candle holders to intricate rugs in a variety of patterns and colors.
- On top of their normal sales and coupons, Pier 1 often has special ‘One Day Deals’ on their website, which feature select products at discounted prices for one day only. The deals are typically available for 24 hours only or until the item sells out (you’ll want to check back daily if you’re hoping to snag something specific). These deals often offer significant discounts—upwards of 50% off certain products—and are available online only.
Bed, Bath, and Beyond
When you’re ready to tackle the search for your first apartment, there are a few things you should consider. In this article we’ll go over ten areas that can make or break your search: from bathroom accessories to kitchen accessories and beyond.
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond (BBB)
This is the best place to shop for sheets, towels, and other bathroom products; it’s also the best place to shop for non-bathroom hardware such as kitchen appliances. BBB has everything you need to start building your home with style at an affordable price!
This is the perfect place to shop for your first apartment because Walmart has everything you could ever need. Walmart’s furniture options are endless and they have tons of choices in decor. If you’re on a budget, that’s not a problem, because Walmart is super cheap. Also, it’s probably the only place you need to go because they have everything. You can even get your groceries delivered or buy a kitchen sink if you want! You really don’t need anywhere else to go when it comes time to shop for all of your first apartment needs.
- When you’re shopping for your first apartment, every penny counts, so you want to make sure that you’re getting the best deal possible. Luckily, Amazon makes it easy for you to compare prices and get the best deal on what you’re buying. With their handy app, and with their Prime membership which has free two-day shipping and other great benefits, Amazon will help save you money which can be put towards other things that more important.
- For example:
- Need mouthwash? Check out the varieties available on Amazon!
- Need a shower curtain? Check out the ones on Amazon!
- Want some snacks? You guess it: check out Amazon!
- Lastly, if you have an Alexa or Echo device in your home (which we absolutely recommend buying as it can add efficiency to your life) then ask Alexa (the digital assistant who comes with those products) what is currently on sale at Amazon. This is because sometimes certain things will be temporarily discounted (like a special deal of the day). If they are something that’s useful in your apartment then don’t hesitate to buy them while they are on sale!
Ashley Furniture (in store)
If you’re looking to deck out your first apartment, check out Ashley Furniture. They have a great selection of affordable furniture and accessories. You can also get a large portion of the items in-store, which is super helpful if you have a car or dedicated moving van/truck. If not, they also have a great website!
Ikea (in store)
IKEA is your one-stop shop for budget furniture with a clean, modern look. The Swedish company’s prices are hard to beat and their flat pack system means that you can assemble most of your purchases from the comfort of your own home. Their products range from simple tables and chairs to media centers, beds, couches and more.
You should note that IKEA is a very popular option right now, which means that if you’re shopping at one of their stores (as opposed to online) there’s a good chance you’ll be seeing a lot of the same furniture in other people’s apartments as well. If you’re looking for something different and unusual, it might be best to keep looking elsewhere. However, if you don’t care whether or not others have the same sofa as you do and are just looking for an affordable price point then this store is perfect!
Ahead of this new life stage, Wayfair will be your best friend. With its massive inventory and great prices, it’s one of the best resources for the home-furnishing market; they offer a huge selection of stylish furniture at all price points. If you’re looking to splurge on something that will last you a lifetime, their high-end pieces are beautiful, but not shockingly expensive. The brand also has a budget-friendly option in Birch Lane, which offers free shipping on orders over $49 (and pretty good sales on larger items). Wayfair also regularly runs promotions and discounts on big holidays like Fourth of July and Black Friday.
If you want to see before you buy, many items are available through Amazon Prime or via their affiliate stores.